Feather River College Promise Scholarship Program
Beginning in Fall 2018, Feather River College will offer a new scholarship program that provides FREE tuition (CA Enrollment Fees). Yes, you read that correctly – FREE tuition!
During the 2018-19 academic year, the Feather River College Promise Scholarship Program will offer up to two semesters of free tuition (CA Enrollment Fees) for first-time, full-time college students. The program is designed to support Feather River College’s goal that every student have the ability to learn a trade, complete a career program or transfer to a four-year college or university.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is it? –
Starting in Fall 2018, the FRC College Promise Scholarship program is designed to waive California Enrollment Fees ($46 per unit) for new, first-time, full-time Feather River College students who are not eligible for the California College Promise Grant (formerly BOG Fee Waiver) and/or the Federal Pell Grant for up to one academic year (two semesters).
Who is eligible? –
All first-time students, including students who earned college units while participating in concurrent enrollment and/or dual enrollment while in high school, who:
- are California Residents or AB540 eligible
- complete a FAFSA or CA Dream Act application
- enroll in 12 or more units
- meet with an academic advisor/counselor to develop a Student Education Plan (SEP) and complete new student orientation (fully matriculated).
Notice: eligibility for subsequent semester (i.e., spring 2019) is contingent upon available funding.
Is this program really for all first-time students? –
Yes! The FRC Promise Scholarship Program is not awarded on the basis of financial need. See “Who is Eligible?” above.
How do I maintain eligibility? –
A student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00, successfully complete 12 units and meet with an advisor/counselor prior to the spring or the following subsequent semester.
What is covered exactly? –
The FRC Promise Schoalrship covers full-time California enrollment fees ($46 per unit); it does not waive a student’s health ($18/fall & spring; $15/summer) and transit ($1.50/unit) fees.
Are books, supplies and course materials covered? –
No, only CA ENrollment Fees are waived. However, we have programs such as CalWorks, EOPS, Student Equity, Foster Youth and Homeless Services, and Veteran Services that may be able to provide assistance with books, supplies and course materials.
How will fees be paid? –
Students’ fees will be waived/automatically applied to their student account balance once their eligibility has been determined. No cash disbursements will be made.
Can students get their tuition (CA Enrolllment Fees) waived if they take more than 12 units? –
Yes! 12 units is the minimum.
Only the first academic year. For example, if a student begins in:
- Fall 2018 - receives for fall 2018 and spring 2019 semesters
- Spring 2019 - receives in spring 2019 only
- Summer 2019 - receives for summer 2019, fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters
Can a student begin in spring 2019 and receive the promise scholarship? –
Yes, for one semester only. See "How long is the promise scholarship good for?" above.
What if a student drops below or does not complete 12 units? –
Completion of 12 units is a requirement. Students who don’t complete 12 units become ineligible for the next term
How do students get started? –
First-time students should complete the following steps:
- Complete the FRC Admissions Application at: frc.edu - click on "Apply Now"
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at https://fafsa.gov/ (for CA residents) or California Dream Act Application (for students with an AB540 residency status) at https://dream.csac.ca.gov/
- Meet with an Academic Advisor/Counselor to discuss course options, develop Student Education Plan (SEP) and complete new student orientation to be fully matriculated. Schedule your appointment now!
- Enroll in and complete 12 units for Fall 2018