Federal Student Aid Programs

All students applying for campus-based federal and/or state assistance must apply for the Pell Grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This grant is based on financial need according to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the Cost of Attendance (COA). Students may qualify for a maximum of $6,195.00 in Pell grant for the 2019-2020 academic year.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for students with exceptional financial need. Awards are made on a first-come basis until designated funds are exhausted. For the 2019-2020 academic year, students may be eligible to receive between $100 and $4,000 in SEOG annually.

The Federal Work-Study program provides jobs for students who qualify for financial aid. Students are paid at least the current state minimum wage, but some salaries are higher based on the type of work and the skills required. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis until designated funds are exhausted.

For additional information please contact the Career/Transfer Center at (530) 283-0202 ext 313. Please visit the Student Employment webpage for information about the Student Employment Program at Feather River College.

Direct Subsidized Loans
  • Available to undergraduate students with financial need
  • Award amount is contingent upon number of units completed and financial need
  • The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest
    • while you're in school at least half-time
    • for the first six months after you stop attending or graduate
    • during a period of deferment
Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  • Available to undergraduate and graduate students; there is no requirement to demonstrate financial need
  • Award is contingent upon number of units completed and students dependency status
  • The student is responsible for paying the interest during all periods
    • If you choose not to pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, your interest will accrue and be capitalized

To obtain more information about student loans at FRC click here. Please visit studentaid.gov for more information on Direct Loans.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS loans are available to assist families of dependent students in meeting the costs of education. The borrowers for these loans are the parents who apply for them, not the students. PLUS loans do involve a credit check through the federal government. If a parent applies for and is not approved for a parent PLUS loan, the student is eligible for an additional $4,000 per year ($2,000/semester) in an unsubsidized student loan.

To obtain more information on PLUS Loans please visit studentaid.gov.

For additional information about federal aid, please visit the Federal Student Aid website. You can also obtain the Federal Student Aid at a Glance Grant and/or Loan Programs Fact Sheets.