The Instructional Resource Center is open for the fall semester and ready to serve you!
The IRC provides resources, instruction, guidance, and tutoring sessions (both drop-in and regularly scheduled) to help students succeed In-person and online tutoring through Zoom is available. We are looking forward to giving you the academic support you need.
Feel free to email me with questions or suggestions. ~Joan Jarrett email@example.com
Responses from students
Students who have visited the Instructional Resource Center regularly report that they have gained skills to help them become more successful in their college courses.
Our commitment to you
The IRC cares for the well-being of all students, and we want you to know you have the resources and services available to support your learning journey – even if it is online! We have added additional support and resources related to online learning. The IRC’s services are described in more detail below.
Academic Coaches (formerly tutors)
Introducing a new approach to helping students succeed in classes – our Academic Coaches. This semester, those who are working in the IRC will have expanded duties and will be known as Academic Coaches. In addition to helping students with course content, Academic Coaches will assist students in becoming independent learners by also focusing on time management, study strategies, and metacognitive routines. These student employees will regularly help students with:
· TIME MANAGEMENT: Stay on top of academics and other activities with tools that help you prioritize, plan, and follow through.
· ACTIVE STUDYING: Master course content with active studying techniques such as concept mapping and self-quizzing.
· READING: Retain important concepts from any text, whether it is chemistry, history, or political science as well as capturing the student's thought processes through the use of metacognitive strategies.
· TEST PREPARATION: Learn techniques for taking exams involving multiple choice, essay, and word-problems.
· NOTE-TAKING: Capture key elements from lectures and readings, use metacognitive routines, and organize your notes to better understand the material covered in class.
Academic coaches will help you succeed by providing tools to properly balance academic demands as well as other obligations. They will work one-on-one with students to improve your academic strategies, develop effective study habits, and find that school/life balance a busy college student needs.
NetTutor offers live tutoring on-demand, question drop-off, and writing feedback. It is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Feather River College students can access NetTutor help via Canvas. For informational videos regarding the services NetTutor provides and how they work, click on the NetTutor link under the Index at the right. If you are already familiar with NetTutor or feel comfortable accessing it, go to the Instructional Resource Center Canvas shell at the following link and then click on NetTutor on the navigation bar at the left.
The IRC is located in LRC852 (the bottom floor of the library building near the stairs). It is open Monday through Friday, from 8am-5pm. Evening hours are Tuesday from 5-7 and Thursday 5-6.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.