Suicide Is Preventable
Know the Signs
The warning signs of emotional pain or suicidal thoughts are not always obvious. Here is what to look for:
- Talking about wanting to die or suicide
- Feeling hopeless, desperate, trapped
- Giving away possessions
- Putting affairs in order
- Reckless behavior
- Increased drug or alcohol use
- Anxiety or agitation
- Changes in sleep
- Sudden mood changes
- No sense of purpose
Knowing what to look for is the first step toward being there for a friend or family member in need. If you sense something is wrong, trust your instincts and get more information at suicideispreventable. org.
Find the Words
"Are you thinking of ending your life?" Few phrases are as difficult to say to a loved one. But when it comes to suicide prevention, none are more important. If you are concerned about someone, don't hesitate. Visit suicideispreventable.org to learn how to get the conversation started.
Start the Conversation
Mention the warning signs you are noticing.
Ask About Suicide
"Are you thinking about suicide?"
Express concern and reassure
You are not Alone - If you even see one warning sign, step in or speak up. But you do not need to do it alone. Help is available. To find local resources, visit: suicideispreventable.org.
In a Crisis - If you think a person is suicidal, do not leave them alone. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline if you are in crisis or concerned about someone. Trained counselors are available 24/7 to offer support. 1.800.273.8255
Information taken from suicideispreventable.org
- Student Services Home
- Basic Needs
- Community Ed (opens in new window)
- Financial Aid (opens in new window)
- Getting Involved (opens in new window)
- Health Services
- Housing (opens in new window)
- Student Equity and Achievement Services (opens in new window)
- Student Employment (opens in new window)
- Student Policies (opens in new window)
- Student Job List (opens in new window)
- Student Safety (opens in new window)
- Support Services (opens in new window)
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.