Welcome to Community Education at FRC!

We are looking for people that have a passion for a subject, expertise or skill in that area, and a desire to share that knowledge with others. If this sounds like you, we invite you to share your knowledge, skills, interests, and enthusiasm with the local community by becoming a Community Education Instructor and offering a Community Education Course.

What You Need To Know And Do to Offer a Course

Purpose:  Courses or activities should be designed to provide lifelong learning and enrichment opportunities that contribute to the physical, mental,  moral, or civic development of the individuals enrolled in them.  The courses are fee based, do not provide college credit, are not supported by state apportionment or the general fund, nor do they gain a profit.  The courses shall be open to all adults and/or minors who can benefit from the course.

Course Proposals:  The first step is to develop a course proposal using the form provided by the College.  The proposal form asks you to describe your course, define the teaching method used, establish the course dates and times, set the course fees, give minimum and maximum enrollment expectations, list any equipment or media requirements, and describe your education, experience and/or skills and provide references.

When developing a course:

  • Keep the subject matter or activity simple and fun.
  • Utilize teaching methods that stimulate a friendly learning environment.
  • Consider offering the course in the evening or on weekends.
  • Consider offering a shorter timeframe than traditional credit courses.  Adult learners tend to be willing to pursue new interests that do not demand a lot of their time.
  • Keep the fees reasonable.  People seem to be willing to pay smaller fees for several short courses rather than one long, high priced course.

The proposal form is found at the link below and must be submitted to Feather River College for approval.   Course proposals are reviewed and approved by the Chief Instructional Officer in consultation with faculty members as necessary. Once a course has been approved, the instructor will be notified and given hiring paperwork and a Personnel Action Form (teaching contract), which must be completed and submitted to Human Resources before teaching can begin.

Community Education Course Proposal (WORD form)
Community Education Course Proposal (PDF form)

Instructor Pay:  Instructors are paid 60% of the course fee collected.  The remaining 40% is kept by the District to pay for facility use, publicity, and other related expenses incurred by the District.  The instructor sets the course fee and should take this payment structure into consideration when establishing the fee.  Instructors are paid once the class has been completed.

Facilities:  It is preferable to hold classes on the Feather River College campus; however, some classes require a special facility or location other than FRC.  The Student Services Office will assist instructors in securing facilities.  Please note that credit courses receive first priority for use of facilities at FRC.

Marketing:  FRC staff will assist with publicizing all courses by developing a course flyer, placing an advertisement in the local newspapers, and posting the course flyer on the FRC Community Education webpage.  Instructors are encouraged to promote their course through email and/or social media to people who might be interested.

Course Registration:  Participants register for classes by completing the Community Education Registration form (includes a release of liability) found on the Community Education webpage.  The form must be printed, completed in full, and can be submitted by mail, fax, or in person to the FRC Student Services Office.  Participants can pay by cash, check, or credit card.  Participants who are under the age of 18 must complete the registration form designated for them, which requires the signature of a parent or guardian.

Course Evaluation:  At the end of each course, all participants are emailed a link to a one-page Evaluation Form that can be completed and submitted online.  The evaluation is anonymous and the results are provided to the instructor for the purpose of evaluating the effectiveness of the course and providing ideas for improvement.

Parking:  Community Education participants are not required to purchase a campus parking permit.  A temporary parking permit for the dates and times of the course is given to each student at the first class meeting.  The permit is to be displayed on the vehicle dashboard. Permits allow for parking in student and staff parking only.

If you have questions, contact Lori Bergum at lbergum@frc.edu or call 530-283-0202, ext 242.


This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.