Food Services and Resources

variety of food services and resources

A variety of food services and resources are made available to students to assist those facing food insecurity while attending FRC.  The services listed below provide free or low cost meals throughout each semester, and students are encouraged to access resources in the community  as needed.

Formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, Cal-Fresh is for people whose funds for food are limited or non-existent. The application process is respectful and confidential.  Once approved, you will be issued a card that can be used like a regular bank card at grocery stores and other participating locations.

Eligibility for College Students

  • Meet income requirements
  • Be a US citizen (except if receiving SSI/SSP benefits) or a legal permanent resident
  • Be enrolled at least half time
  • Enroll in work study OR work a minimum of 80 hours a month (work study can count towards the 80 hours).  If you have a child under age 6 without adequate childcare you are exempt from this requirement.

To Apply

Obtain a CalFresh Application
  • Pick one up from the Plumas County Social Services office located in the building next to the FRC dorms, OR
  • Call 530-283-6350 to have an application mailed to you, OR
Apply for a Student Employment Position at FRC and Request a Work Study Letter
  • Go to Student Employment on the FRC website.  Follow the links to view student job opportunities and apply for the job you would like to have.
  • A “work study letter” will automatically be generated once you have applied to one of the student employment positions available.
Print a copy of your Financial Aid Award Letter 
  • Login to MyFRC — click on “financial aid,” then “award,” then “award for aid year,” and select the current term.
Print a copy of your Student Detail Schedule 
  • Login to MyFRC — click on “student,” then “registration,” then “student detail schedule.” 
Get a copy of your Lease Agreement
  • If you live in the dorms, request a copy from the dorm office.
  • If not a dorm resident, ask your landlord or property manager for a copy.
Other Documents/Information Needed
  • Driver’s License and/or FRC Student ID
  • Prior CalFresh? Ask your parents if you are on any food assistance through them in California or any other state you reside in.
Once you have completed all paperwork and gathered all required documents, return everything to the Plumas County Social Services office.  At that time you will be scheduled an appointment for verification.
If you need help, stop by the Advising/Counseling Office and someone will assist you.

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.