VA Work-Study Program
The VA Work-Study Program is available to any eligible veteran or their dependents who are receiving VA education benefits and attending school three-quarter time (9+ units) or more. An individual working under this program may work at a school's veterans office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facility, CalVet or other approved State employment office. Work-study students are paid at either the State or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater.
The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training on a full-time or ¾ time basis under the following programs:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill - (38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
- Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
- REAP Participants
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
- Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
- Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
- National Call to Service Participants
- Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program - (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
To apply for an internship with an approved State Office, the student must attain an enrollment certification VA Form 22-1999-6 from their schools veterans office. The work the veteran actually does will depend on the veteran's interests and the type of work available; however, it must be related to the VA. Want to know more? Visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Ready to Apply? Complete VA Form 22-8691.
Mail Completed form to:
VA Regional Processing Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888