VA Work-Study Program
The VA Work-Study Program is available to any eligible veteran or their dependents who are receiving VA education benefits and attending school three-quarter time (9+ units) or more. An individual working under this program may work at a school's veterans office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facility, CalVet or other approved State employment office. Work-study students are paid at either the State or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government web site at benefits.va.gov/gibill.
The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training on a full-time or ¾ time basis under the following programs:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill® - (38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
- Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
- REAP Participants
- Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
- Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
- Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
- National Call to Service Participants
- Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program - (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
To apply for an internship with an approved State Office, the student must attain an enrollment certification VA Form 22-1999-6 from their schools veterans office. The work the veteran actually does will depend on the veteran's interests and the type of work available; however, it must be related to the VA. Want to know more? Visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Ready to Apply? Complete VA Form 22-8691.
Mail Completed form to:
VA Regional Processing Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
- Apply Now
- Cost of Attendance
- FAFSA Workshops
- Federal Updates
- Foster Youth
- Important Dates
- Plumas Pipeline
- Schedule a Financial Aid Appointment
- Types of Aid
- Undocumented Students
- Veteran Services
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.