VA Work-Study Program

The VA Work-Study Program is available to any eligible veteran or their dependents who are receiving VA education benefits and attending school three-quarter time (9+ units) or more. An individual working under this program may work at a school's veterans office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facility, CalVet or other approved State employment office. Work-study students are paid at either the State or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government web site at

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training on a full-time or ¾ time basis under the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® - (38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State.
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program - (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

To apply for an internship with an approved State Office, the student must attain an enrollment certification VA Form 22-1999-6 from their schools veterans office. The work the veteran actually does will depend on the veteran's interests and the type of work available; however, it must be related to the VA. Want to know more? Visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Ready to Apply? Complete VA Form 22-8691.

Mail Completed form to:

VA Regional Processing Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.