Associates of Arts for Transfer Degree
The Sociology Associates Degree for Transfer (A.A.-T) is designed for students who intend to pursue a degree in sociology or a related discipline, and who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university. The degree is especially designed for students preparing for transfer into the California State University system but will prepare all students for success in any higher education degree program.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Sociology program coursework, students will be able to:
- Understand the interrelationships of individuals, social groups, social institutions, culture and society.
- Analyze the interaction of individuals, social groups, social institutions, and cultures using social science research methods and major sociological perspectives.
Major Core Requirements (10 units)
|SOC102 Introduction to Sociology||3 units|
|SOC150 Social Trends and Problems (offered Spring 2016)||3 units|
|Math202 Elementary Statistics||4 units|
|Total Core Requirements||10 units|
Major Electives (select 9 units from below)
List A (Select 6 units from below)
|ADMJ203 Introduction to Multiculturalism||3 units|
|ADMJ Introduction to Criminology||3 units|
|SOC/POL140 Introduction to Race and Ethnicity (offered Fall 2015)||3 units|
|SOC/POL160 Globalization||3 units|
|PSY102 Introduction to Psychology||3 units|
|SOC110 Introduction to Marriage and Family||3 units|
|SOC100 Sex, Gender, and Society||3 units|
List B (Select 3 units from below)
|ANTH100 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology||3 units|
|GEOG104 Cultural Geography||3 units|
|ECE153 Child, Family and Community||3 units|
|Total Electives Requirements||9 units|
Total Major Requirements
To earn an A.A.-T in Sociology:
- Complete the Major Core Requirements and Major Electives, as outlined above with a minimum grade of “C” or better.
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. Students expecting to transfer to a four-year college or university need to complete the CSU Breadth or IGETC requirements.
- Complete electives so that major units, plus GE units, plus elective units total sixty (60) units or higher.