Veterans Benefits and Services

Certifying Officer

Alyia Pilgrim Phone: (530) 283-0202 ext. 603

Academic Advising for Veterans Services

Contact Kristine Guess at ( 530) 283-0202, ext. 313 for an appointment.


The Veterans Certifying Official is located in the Financial Aid Office.


Feather River College has been approved by the U.S.. Department of Veterans Affairs to offer benefits of higher education to veterans, reservists and eligible dependents (including step-child or adopted child).  These benefits are available through the following programs:

  • The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program - VEAP (Chapter 32)
  • Post -9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)
  • Reserve Education Assistance Program - REAP (Chapter 1607)
  • Educational Assistance Test Program (Chapter 901)

How to Apply

There are three ways to apply for Educational Benefits:

  1. Online at
  2. Plumas County Veteran's Services Office (530) 283-6275
  3. At Feather River College

Eligible students must receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA before receiving benefits.

Anthony Castelli Veteran's College Scholarship
$500 American Military Veteran's Scholarship

This is an annual scholarship awarded to a current military veteran or honorably discharged veteran or parent, sibling, child or grandchild of a current or honorably discharged veteran. All applications for the scholarship must include the military veteran's, associated with the request for scholarship, DD-214 or if not available, a sworn affidavit attesting to the name, branch of service, years served and honorable discharge or current military enlistment of the veteran. Click here for additional information, requirements and deadline for submission.

Student Responsibilities

Before benefits are received, the student must provide the VA Certifying Officers with the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Completed Educational Plan through the Veterans Services Academic Advisor
  • Transcripts of all previous coursework
  • A copy of your DD-214 (Veterans Only)
  • Completed assessment test

Each semester the student must meet with:

  • The Academic Advisor for Veteran Services to update the Educational Plan
  • Certifying Officers to complete additional paperwork

Important:  Report any changes in enrollment or academic status that may affect VA benefits to the Veterans' Certifying Officials at FRC.  When changes are not reported, the result is often underpayment or overpayment of VA benefits.

Benefits Coverage

When applying for benefits the student must declare a major.  Payment of educational benefits is based on the number of units in which a student is enrolled.  Benefits will be paid only for courses required for that degree.  Once a satisfactory grade has been earned, the student may not receive benefits for a repeated course.*  Benefits are restricted on some types of courses.  Students should always check with the Feather River College Certifying Officers before registering for courses.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Veterans' Administration requires that veterans maintain satisfactory progress toward a degree.  This includes maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and completing at least 67% of their attempted units.  Veterans who become academically disqualified must follow the school's criteria for reinstatement after academic disqualification.

*Course Repetition

A course may be repeated for VA benefits only if repetition is necessary to successfully satisfy specific major requirements.  Veterans may repeat a class more than once and receive VA educational benefits if the condition that required the initial repetition still exists.

College Fee Waiver Program for Dependents of Veterans

As a child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouse of a service-connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at Feather River College..  The program is administered by the California Department of Veterans Affairs.  Eligible students do not need to be drawing the GE Bill, but may be required to meet certain income requirements to qualify.  Applications are available at the Plumas County Veterans Service Office located at 270 County Hospital Road, Suite 206, Quincy, CA, 95971.

Veteran's Forms

Department of Veterans Affairs - VONAPP (Veterans Online Application Website)
California Veterans Resource Book
Checklist for Veterans and Eligible Dependents of Veterans
Request for Enrollment Certification
Prior Colleges Attended Verification
Notification of Added/Dropped Classes
Statement of Understanding - Fall 2014
Statement of Understanding - Spring 2015
Statement of Understanding - Summer 2015