Types of Aid

Federal Student Aid at a Glance 2015-16

Federal Programs

  • Pell Grant

    All students applying for campus-based federal and/or state assistance must apply for the Pell Grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This grant is based on financial need according to your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the Cost of Attendance (COA).
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

    The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are for students with exceptional financial need. The grant does not have to be repaid. Awards are made on a first-come basis until designated funds are exhausted.
  • Federal Work-Study

    The Federal Work-Study program provides jobs for students who qualify for financial aid. Students are paid at least the current state minimum wage, but some salaries are higher based on the type of work and the skills required. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis until designated funds are exhausted. For more information contact the Career/Transfer Center at (530) 283-0202 ext 313
  • William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

    Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education after high school. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, with the Direct Loan Program. FRC students and parents will have access to a secure, dependable and affordable source of funds to finance their educational costs. For more information on Direct Loans you can go to www.studentloans.gov and/or http://www.direct.ed.gov/ 
  • Direct Parent PLUS Loans

    Federal Direct Parent PLUS loans are available to assist families of dependent students in meeting the costs of education. The borrowers for these loans are the parents who apply for them, not the students. PLUS loans do involve a credit check through the federal government. If a parent applies for and is not approved for a parent PLUS loan, the student is eligible for some additional student loan funds.

State Programs

Access the WebGrants 4 Students (WGS) Portal Here!

  • Cal Grant

    Cal Grants are California state-funded grants that may be applied toward meeting educational expenses at California colleges. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or students who qualify as AB540 may complete the Dream Application. You may check the status of your Cal Grant award by going to: CSAC - WebGrants for Students. There are three kinds of Cal Grants:
    • Cal Grant A

      May be used at four-year colleges only, although they may be granted and held in reserve for students attending community colleges with the intention of transferring. Grants are awarded on the basis of grades as well as financial need.
    • Cal Grant B

      May be used at both two-year and four-year colleges, and may be awarded to part-time students. Grants are awarded based on grades, disadvantaged background and financial need.
    • Cal Grant C

      For students enrolled in two-year vocational programs at two-year colleges. Part-time students may apply for this grant which is awarded on the basis of financial need, vocational interests, and grades.
  • Chafee Grant / Education & Training Voucher (ETV)

    The California Chafee Grant Program provides funding to current or former foster youth who have not reached the age of 22 as of July 1 of the award year to use for career and technical training or college courses. The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to the availability of federal funds each year. For more information please visit the Financial Aid Office or the official web site at www.chafee.csac.ca.gov
  • Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOG)

    Fee waivers are available to pay the costs of enrollment. Effective Summer 2011, Health and Transit fees WILL NOT be paid by the BOG. Supported by the California Community Colleges through the Board of Governors, BOG fee waivers are available to all qualifying students, regardless of how many units they are carrying. Unlike other forms of financial aid, fee waivers are designed to be awarded immediately. Students may fill out the BOG Application and submit proper documentation at the time of their registration. Students who file the FAFSA or Dream Application are automatically considered for the BOG fee waiver.

    Students qualify for a fee waiver if they meet any of the following criteria:
    1. The student has completed the FAFSA or Dream Application, and received a current Student Aid Report (SAR), which documents eligibility. Even if the student is not eligible for federal financial aid, the student may still qualify for a fee waiver.
    2. The student (or student's family) is receiving TANF/AFDC, SSI or General Assistance. Documentation needed: Verification that the student (or student's family) is a current recipient of TANF/AFDC, SSI, or General Assistance.
    3. The student meets specific income standards.
    4. The student is the dependent of a deceased or disabled Veteran and does not exceed income levels required. This fee waiver is available through the local veterans affairs office.
    5. You are eligible as a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or as a child of a recipient, or a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack.
    6. Students who are eligible for fee waivers may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid such as Cal Grants, Scholarships, Pell Grants, Work Study assignments, and other state and federal grant and loan programs. These programs are all designed to help students meet educational costs such as books, transportation, and living expenses.