State Aid Programs  

California College Promise Grant

(formerly known as the Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver)

IMPORTANT! During the 2016-2017 academic year, new academic standards were implemented for the Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver. For more information about the policy changes please review the Fall 2016 BOG Fee Waiver Changes pamphlet. These policy changes can also be found on page 3 of our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy

The California College Promise Grant is available to "waive" the costs of California enrollment fees. Effective Summer 2011, health and transit fees will not be paid by the California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver). Supported by the California Community Colleges, the California College Promise Grant is available to all qualifying students, regardless of how many units they are carrying. Unlike other forms of financial aid, the California College Promise Grant is designed to be awarded immediately.

The quickest and most efficient way to apply for the California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Application. It is important that you enter FRC's federal school code 008597 as this is how we receive your application. Students who file the FAFSA or Dream Application are automatically considered for the California College Promise Grant. 

If you are unable to or do not desire to complete a FAFSA or DREAM application, you may apply for the California College Promise Grant by completing the paper application: 2017-18 or 2018-19. When completing the paper application, you must provide applicable tax information and other applicable documentation as noted on the application.

Note: paper applications take a substantially longer time to process than applying by means of the FAFSA application or California Dream application.

Students qualify for the California College Promise Grant if they meet any of the following criteria:

  1. The student has completed the FAFSA or Dream Application, and received a current Student Aid Report (SAR), which documents eligibility. Even if the student is not eligible for federal financial aid, the student may still qualify for the California College Promise Grant. 

  2. If you are a student pursuing our new bachelor’s degree program you must complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act application in lieu of completing the California College Promise Grant application.

  3. The student (or student's family) is receiving TANF/AFDC, SSI or General Assistance. Documentation needed: Verification that the student (or student's family) is a current recipient of TANF/AFDC, SSI, or General Assistance.

  4. The student meets specific income standards: 2017-18 or 2018-19

  5. The student is the dependent of a deceased or disabled Veteran and does not exceed income levels required. This fee waiver is available through the local veterans affairs office.

  6. You are eligible as a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or as a child of a recipient, or a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack.

  7. Students who are eligible for the California College Promise Grant may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid such as Cal Grants, Scholarships, Pell Grant, Work Study assignments, and other state and federal grant and loan programs. These programs are all designed to help students meet educational costs such as books and supplies, transportation, and living expenses.

Cal Grant

Cal Grants are California state-funded grants that may be applied toward meeting educational expenses at California colleges. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or students who qualify as AB540 may complete the Dream Application. Your application must be submitted by the state deadline (March 2) to be considered for the grant. If you miss the March 2 deadline they have a second deadline of September 2.
More detailed information on Cal Grants can be found here.

Important! Starting with the 2017/18 academic year, students must create a Web Grants account ( and claim their award. If a student does not claim their award and the school doesn't either, the student will not show up on the schools roster to aware for the 2017/18 award year. 

Chafee Grant / Education & Training Voucher (ETV)

The California Chafee Grant Program provides funding to current or former foster youth who have not reached the age of 22 as of July 1 of the award year to use for career and technical training or college courses. The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to the availability of federal funds each year. More detailed information on the Chafee Grant can be found here

WebGrants 4 Students (WGS) is your portal for Cal Grant, Chafee and Middle Class Scholarship awards.

Community College Completion Grant

The Community College Completion Grant (CCCG) is a financial aid award designed to encourage California community college students to complete their degree or certificate on time, and may provide an additional $1,500 per academic year ($750 per semester) in financial aid to qualified recipients. To qualify, you must:

• Be a Cal Grant recipient and Full-Time Student Success Grant recipient for the same term.
• Talk to a college counselor/advisor to setup a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (SEP) and then follow it
   until you complete your degree or certificate. The SEP is your path to competing your program of study and will
   outline the classes you need to take to meet the program requirements.*
• Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
• Enroll and complete 15 units/semester or 30 units per academic year in courses listed in the SEP.*

*If you fall off pace in completing your program within the established Comprehensive Student Education Plan (SEP) timeframe, you will be removed from this program and will not be eligible for additional grant payments. Funding for this grant is limited, so apply early for your best chance to qualify.

Full-Time Student Success Grant

The Full-Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) is a financial aid program for Cal Grant B recipients attending a California community college full-time (12 units or more). On top of the $1,656 annual Cal Grant B award paid at community colleges, the Full-Time Student Success Grant pays full-time Cal Grant B recipients an additional $600 per academic year ($300 per semester). All full-time community college students receiving Cal Grant B will be offered this assistance, and only full-time students can receive this benefit. To apply for a Cal Grant, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application by the California state deadline, March 2.

Eligibility Criteria –

• Must be a Cal Grant B recipient that received a full-time Cal Grant payment
• Must be enrolled full-time (12 units or more)s
• Must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards

This grant is intended to support student success by providing additional assistance for students to attend full-time and complete their program of study. For more information, please review the Full-Time Student Success Grant guide.