Department Co-Chairs: Dr. Chris Connell (530) 283-0202 ext 225; Dr. Joan Parkin (530) 283-0202 ext 252
The major in English, resulting in an A.A. degree, provides students with a solid knowledge in the literature and culture of the Anglophone world. Through the study of literature, students develop an understanding of important themes that have been present throughout the history of the English-speaking world and an understanding about how these themes have shaped thought and literary expression. The major is based in writing, discussion, development of interpretive skills, and the application of critical thinking methods in a wide variety of situations. The major in English provides a general academic foundation for further literary study and for other areas, including pre-law, teaching, research, journalism, and publishing and editing. Students can complete the Associate of Arts in English for Transfer by completing 18 units in the major plus general education and be guaranteed transfer in the major to a California State University campus. Students who are planning to transfer in the major to a CSU campus, as well as those planning to transfer to a UC or other colleges, can choose to augment the major with additional elective courses in English or humanities, thus establishing a well-rounded curriculum in literature and humanistic thought.
The Student Learning Outcomes for the English major state that the student will be able to:
1. Comprehend cultural and literary background of the English-speaking world.
2. In English, use written and verbal expression to communicate information factually, argumentatively, and creatively.
- In English, read, comprehend, interpret, and respond to a wide variety of materials touching on literary knowledge, society, culture, the arts, history, gender, politics, and philosophy.
Associate of Arts for Transfer in English:
Required Core (6 units) Units
ENGL 102 Introduction to Literature 3
ENGL 103 Critical Thinking and Writing 3
List A. Take two of the following courses (6 units)
ENGL 252 American Literature I 3
ENGL 254 American Literature II 3
ENGL 256 Survey of English Literature I 3
ENGL 257 Survey of EnglishLiterature II 3
Major Elective Requirements (6 units) Units
List B. Take the following course,
or any course not used from List A (3 units)
ENGL 170 Creative Writing 3
List C. Take one of the following courses,
or an unused course from List A or B (3 units) Units
ENGL 150 Introduction to newspaper Writing, Editing, and Production 3
ENGL 180 Nature Writing in America 3
ENGL 228 Novel and Film 3
ENGL 245 Contemporary Literature 3
ENGL 246 Women's Literature 3
ENGL 277 Introduction to Shakespeare 3
ASL 130 Beginning American Sign Language I 3
ASL 132 Beginning American Sign Language II 3
FRN 101 Beginning French I 4
FRN 102 Beginning French II 4
Span 101 Beginning Spanish I 4
Span 102 Beginning Spanish II 4
BUS 120 English for the Professional 3
HUMN110 Introduction to Humanities I 3
HUMN112 Introduction to Humanities II 3
Total major Rerquirements 18-19
1) Complete the Major Core Requirements and Major Electives, as outlined above with a minimum grade of “C” or better.
2) Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. Students expecting to transfer to a four-year college or university are strongly advised to complete the CSU Breadth or the IGETC requirements rather than the FRC General Education requirements.
3) Complete electives so that major units, plus GE units, plus elective units total sixty (60) units or higher.