Taking Online Courses
Most online courses at FRC are delivered through our Moodle website at http://frc.crhosts.com . You can find out more about Moodle by using the Moodle link on the left of this page.
You are not automatically added to the online course area when you register for classes. You'll need to create an account in our Moodle site, then receive an "enrollment key" from your instructor to enter the course area. You only need to use the enrollment key the first time you enter the course. If you don't get an enrollment key from your instructor by the start of your course you should email your instructor. A link to their email can be found in MyFRC along with your course information. You can also use the directory feature at the top of this website, and you can figure out your instructor's email address if you know their name by following instructions below.
Instructions about how to create a Moodle account and many other Frequently Asked Questions can be found on our Moodle site under the "Moodle Help" menu on the upper left.
Online courses can take more time than on-campus courses, and you will probably have more distractions! Be sure you have the basic computer skills and motivation to sign up for an online course. Here are some things to consider:
- You should have a computer with software that is no more than a few years old.
- You should have a DSL, Cable, or Wireless Internet connection.
You should know how to:
- Send emails with attachments, and how to save attachments you receive.
- Upload and download files to a website using a "Browse" or "Upload File" feature.
- Search the internet using tools such as Google, Yahoo.com, and Bing.com.
- Communicate online using tools such as online discussion boards, chat windows, video conferencing such as Skype, webinar features, or blogs,
- Most importantly: You should be willing and able to schedule regular blocks of time every week when you can concentrate on your online course without undue distractions or interruptions.
To Find Out Your Instructor's Name: Check your printed schedule, go to MyFRC and login to check your schedule online, or look up your course by going to www.frc.edu and using the "Course Search" feature at the top right of the page.
Admissions and Records Contact Admissions and Records for registration questions Phone: 530-283-0202 Ext. 222 or toll free 1-800-442-9799
How to Figure Out Your Instructor's e-Mail Address if You Know Their Name
First letter of their first name + their last name + @frc.edu
So the instructor Jane Smith would have the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Switchboard Toll free 1-800-442-9799 or Local 530-283-0202 Dial the appropriate extension when you hear the message, or press "O" to reach an operator.. TDD line is (530) 283-0709.